Restless Night

 I remember it like it was yesterday.



I saw this beautiful lake in the middle of the busy street. All around me was the noise of people bickering about everything. But when I got close to the lake, everything went silent, as all the people from the city had disappeared. So I decided to rest there for the night before I moved on.


The silence of the lake carried me at that moment, and I fell asleep faster than anywhere else in the world. It lasted for a few hours until I decided to break my sleep. I got up and saw a woman looking at a lake; she was probably in her 40s, and her eyes were focused on the lake. The moonlight was making the water glossier, making almost everything visible to the naked eye.


Something about her was very alluring, I started yelling at her, but she refused to listen. I did almost everything I could to get her attention, but almost all of it fell on deaf ears. So, In the end, I had no choice but to walk up to her. I did, and then I sat right next to her.


I was going to ask her questions, but she never even looked at me; she moved her arm and then pointed her finger at the lake. I looked in the direction she was raising her finger and saw a man drowning his dog. A puppy looked fairly sick.


The man was having a hard time drowning it, as the puppy was a few days old. Eventually, he did it, as there was no struggle, as the ripples around the puppy went silent. All I saw was a body floating in the water.


He made all look like an accident for his family and the dog who gave birth to the puppy. Maybe the sickness of the puppy was a burden he didn't want to carry or wanted to see his children feel sad for it.


That may be why he ended up making a decision of that magnitude. He never saw us as we were covered in the shade of a tree, but he wasn't. The moonlight shed light on almost every corner of the lake. He was no expectation. The puppy was floating in the water; soon, it made its way onto a part of the lake where lotus flowers grew in silence.


It was heart-wrenching to see a dead puppy covered with beautiful lotus. Nature bid goodbye to a soul that didn't deserve the fate it was given.

Popular Posts